Information about the EU SME Support project
What is EU SME Support?
EU SME Support is a national service financed by VINNOVA and Tillväxtverket in collaboration with Energimyndigheten. Our mission is to get more Swedish small and medium sized enterprises with international ambitions to successfully apply for financing from the EU:s framework program. We focus on instruments for research and innovation as well as EUREKA, aiming to strengthen the competitiveness of the European industry.
Is your project innovative, unique, scalable and does it have international potential?
If so, you are welcome to contact us at EU SME Support. We can help you find appropriate funding programme and support you to prepare a successful application.
Within Eurostars, SMEs can apply for funding for development of products, processes or services close to market introduction. Eurostars gives access to international knowledge, collaboration and possibility to test new markets.
Facts about Eurostars
- The program with the highest success rate, around 30%.
- Project focus: like the EIC Accelerator, but with more focus around collaboration and the possibility to work on earlier projects
- Project duration: max 3 years.
- Project partners: at least 2 partners from at least 2 different Eureka countries.It has to be a well balanced consotium. An individual partner or individual country cannot take more than 75% of the budget.The project has to be lead by an SME and the other partners can be either SMEs, univesrities , large cooperations or research institute. However, since the funding comes from national bodies, local rules apply.
- You can get up to 50% of the costs as a SME
- Budget: in total you can get EUR 5 million for the project. the Swedish can get up to SEK 5 million.
- Market introduction: the innovation should be able to market within 2 years after the end of the project. For pharmaceuticals and medical device, clinical trials should be started 2 years after the end of the project.
- Cut-offs per year: 2
- Application is made in a web form.
- Responds: you will have a decision on your application within 3.5 months and the money can be transfered within 7 months.
To be eledgible for EIC Accelerator your company should be knowledge-intensive and high-tech. You yshould have international ambitions and your focus should be innovation of products, services or processes that canrevolutionize the field and make a positive change in relation to the UN sustainable development goals (SDG).
Application can be up to 30 pages long, EIC Accelerator (former SME Instrument, phase 2)
- A single SME should be the applicant. Financing is granted for advanced prototypes, tests, pilots, scaling up, miniturizing and development of applications.
- project focus: development and market introduction. A feasability study including a ”freedom to operate” (FTO) should be ready. The outcome of the project should be a new product, process or service ready for market introduction, an innovative business plan, a detailed strategy for commercialisation and a plan for how to finance the company with respect to market launch.
- Project duration: 1-2 years (longer if motivated)
- You can get up to 70% of your costs covered with a grant between EUR 05-2.5 million (TRL 6-8).
- You can in addition get up to EUR 15 million in equity funding with the European Commission as share holder (TRL8-9).
- The application can be 30 pages long, excluding appendixes
- A pitch presentation in pdf with 10 slides should be submitted with the application. The pitch will be up to 10 minuts long. Se separate link to template.
- Number of cut-offs per year: 4.
- Responds: you will have a decision within 2-4 months of the cut-off, the transaction om funding will be made within 6 months after cut-off.
The program Fast Track to Innovation (FTI) aims to accelerate market introduction of innovations like new products, processes, services and business models.
Facts about FTI
- Financing is granted for tests, demonstrations, pilots and validations and to focus on a go-to-market-strategy.
- Project focus: for a consortium to take a pioneering innovation to market
- Project partners: the project should include 3-5 partners from at least 3 countries with in EU or associated with EU. At least 60% of the partners should be from the industry (SME or larger cooperations).
- You can get 70% of the costs covered as an SME, up to EUR 3 million.
- Market introduction: market launch should be on the market within 3 years after the start of the project.
- Number of cut-offs per year: 3
- Application can be up to 30 pages.
- Responds: you will have a decision within 3 months and money will be transfered within 6 months.
Time to apply – but when?
The programmes have one or more cut-offs per year.
3-step application – Short application open continuously, Full application – see deadline. Last step invitation to interview / pitch
Jan 11 2023 (Open)
Mar 22 2023 (Open & Challenges)
June 7 2023 (Open & Challenges)
Oct 4 2023 (Open & Challenges)
Apr 12 2023 (Open & Challenges)
Sep 27 2023 (Open & Challenges)
Mar 7 2023 (Open)
Oct 18 2023 (Challenges)
Spring 2023 – Swedish partners participate without funding from Vinnova, which has not allocated a national budget for this cut-off.
* From June 2019 the SME-instrument phase 2 is called EIC Accelerator Pilot, and will offer the opportunity of only grants or blended financing with grants and equity financing.
Contact EU SME Support –
we will get in touch with you within 48 hours
Do you wish to get support regarding funding from EU through EIC Accelerator, Fast Track to Innovation or Eurostars? Have you application gotten rejected and want to enhance your application financing of EU projects or funding of other research and innovation projects? Welcome to contact us through the web form and you will get a reply within 48 hours.
På uppdrag av Vinnova, Tillväxtverket och Energimyndigheten hjälper EU SME Support innovativa, små och medelstora företag (SME)
med internationella ambitioner att söka EU-finansiering. Kostnadsfri expertrådgivning och snabb respons.
© 2021 EU SME Support